[lbo-talk] "Latino" identity more prevalent on left than among actual Latinos

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Dec 14 12:04:18 PST 2009

On Dec 14, 2009, at 2:45 PM, Michael Pollak wrote:

> I have long had the impression that Latino is the hegemonic word in
> California, but rarely comes up in conversation in New York, where
> Hispanic seems the word of choice.

You obviously don't spend much time with the PC left. Not only do they love the word, it's pronounced in the Spanish fashion, even by native English speakers. I'm reminded of Peggy Noonan's observation that back in the 1980s you could tell which side of the contra war people were on by how they pronounced "Nicaragua" - with contra supporters Anglicizing it, and opponents pronouncing it with a hard r. That wouldn't have worked with me, though.

Doug