[lbo-talk] Sam Gindin, ON THE REVIVAL OF THE WORKING

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 09:21:36 PST 2009

Carrol wrote:

> Unions have not been a movement in 6 70 years, and they
> make up an increasingly irrelevant aprt of the working class
> of the United States. I don't know Whether AFL/CIO unions
> (exepting honorable locals) ever honored even noinally, "An
> Injury to One is and Injury to All," but a Unon movement that
> _was_ a movement and not a collection of grievance
> porcessors would give foremost priority at the present time to
> defending the rights (or rather, _establishing_ the rights) of
> undocumented aliens.

In NYC (and I believe Chicago and L.A.), a few actually-existing unions are at the vanguard of immigrant workers' rights.

In fact, a group of union leaders and activists in NYC are trying to organize a May 1 demonstration, reaching out to the groups of immigrants that organized the marches in 2006.

We should get involved if we can. It'd be great if we can repeat the turnout of those 2006 marches.