[lbo-talk] Sam Gindin, ON THE REVIVAL OF THE WORKING

Bob Morris bob.morris at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 12:02:55 PST 2009

> In fact, a group of union leaders and activists in NYC are trying to
> organize a May 1 demonstration, reaching out to the groups of immigrants
> that organized the marches in 2006.
>
> We should get involved if we can. It'd be great if we can repeat the
> turnout of those 2006 marches.

FYI: The massive immigrants rights march in LA in March 2006 was built and driven by an utterly unprecedented outpouring of support from Latino radio, dj's like Piolin as well as many others.

Latino organizers at the time told me in the days leading up to the march that Latino radio was talking constantly about it, that they'd never heard them get political before, and were as stunned as anyone at what was happening.

I handed out flyers at the march for three hours solid until I ran out, and the end of the march was still nowhere near in sight. It was awe-inspiring.

I wish we could bottle how that happened and use it over and over again.