[lbo-talk] lbo-talk Digest, Vol 1077, Issue 4

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Dec 16 17:45:53 PST 2009

Certainly many CP members fought in Spain, but I believe that a large number of the International Brigades were 'merely' radicals or anti-fascists, not CP organizers. You have, I presume, been in demonstrations organized by the party you once belonged to. Was not the proportion, even counting "rank & file party members as well as brnch organizers etc -- was not that proportion to demonctrators considerable? Same with those who went to Spain. Same with most of the PLA. Same with most who turned out for SDS rallies. There were, if I remember accurately, about 28 "Party Members" in LOngbow (the village in Hinton's _Fanshen_, and Longbow was a small village. BUT not more than 2 or 3 of those 28 really took any responsiblity for keeping the cell going, planning, etc. I think the rough total membership of the CPC at the time of liberation is known (though I don't know it or where to find out). Probably that number should be divided by some number between 20 and 150 to get at the core cadre in each County. It took a lot of work by County Central Committe Members to support, guide, sometimes manage, those 3 or 4 that were the core of the Communist Movement in Longbow.

I think Hobsbawm is not far off. He is a good historical scholar om addotopm tp javing been in the Communist Movement a long time.

In China Shakes the World, Belden tells of accompanyign a good size group of guerillas who were not even controlled by the Party but acting on their own. (Kidnapping and executing a landlorrd from a walled village guarded by a contingent of Nationalist troops.) So the PLA (1) was not made up mostly by CP members, and in addition to it there were "Regular Guerillas" (controlled by the Party but not members) and fairly substantial numbers of "Irregulars" (neither party members nor controlled by the Party).

Carrol