[lbo-talk] Krugman: getting rid of the 60 vote rule

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Dec 20 23:18:01 PST 2009

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/21/opinion/21krugman.html

The New York Times

December 21, 2009

Op-Ed Columnist

A Dangerous Dysfunction

By PAUL KRUGMAN

<snip>

So now that hard choices must be made, how can we reform the Senate to

make such choices possible?

Back in the mid-1990s two senators -- Tom Harkin and, believe it or

not, Joe Lieberman -- introduced a bill to reform Senate procedures.

(Management wants me to make it clear that in my last column I wasn't

endorsing inappropriate threats against Mr. Lieberman.) Sixty votes

would still be needed to end a filibuster at the beginning of debate,

but if that vote failed, another vote could be held a couple of days

later requiring only 57 senators, then another, and eventually a simple

majority could end debate. Mr. Harkin says that he's considering

reintroducing that proposal, and he should.

But if such legislation is itself blocked by a filibuster -- which it

almost surely would be -- reformers should turn to other options.

Remember, the Constitution sets up the Senate as a body with majority

-- not supermajority -- rule. So the rule of 60 can be changed. A

Congressional Research Service report from 2005, when a Republican

majority was threatening to abolish the filibuster so it could push

through Bush judicial nominees, suggests several ways this could happen

-- for example, through a majority vote changing Senate rules on the

first day of a new session.

Nobody should meddle lightly with long-established parliamentary

procedure. But our current situation is unprecedented: America is

caught between severe problems that must be addressed and a minority

party determined to block action on every front. Doing nothing is not

an option -- not unless you want the nation to sit motionless, with an

effectively paralyzed government, waiting for financial, environmental

and fiscal crises to strike.

<end excerpt>

Michael