[lbo-talk] Cockburn on AGW?

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 10:40:35 PST 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 8:22 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

The guy also loves big old cars. And he prefers to blame corporations,
> rather than things like a fondness for driving, for our ecological problems.

Which, to a certain extent, he's right to do. Less than a third of US CO2 emissions come from road transportation, with under 20% caused by consumer-style vehicles (passenger cars and light trucks). Unfortunately I don't have an individual/company use breakdown on hand ( http://www.iacdctransportation.com/research/vmtdrivinganalysis.pdf). Hell, as Derrick Jensen recently noted, even if every last American undertook every single lifestyle modification advocated for us by Al Gore, that would reduce overall US carbon emissions by only 22% ( http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/articles/article/4801). Hair-shirted attempts to prevent catastrophic climate change by reducing individual consumption, while ignoring the far greater effects of industrial and military consumption, are at best innocent hobbyism, and at worst a potentially lethal distraction.