[lbo-talk] Angier: Plants Don't Want to Die Either

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 22 11:23:12 PST 2009

Why not? Is there any reason you couldn't express "go straight forward about 50 feet" in Martian? I assume Martians will inhabit space and time and so will understand directions.

The lexicon and structure of human thought is to a large extent derived from the world, which is the same whether you are a human being or a hypothetical Martian or a lion. I sometimes get the feeling on reading e.g. Wittgenstein that he thought that nonhuman entities were wholly other, some sort of Lovecraftian extradimensional entities. Which I suppose follows from looking at language as the exclusive generator of meaning (if I am not presenting Wittgenstein etc. absurdly crudely).

----- Original Message ---- From: Matthias Wasser <matthias.wasser at gmail.com>

If an alien could speak, would we understand it?