[lbo-talk] Fear and Loathing at St. Vincent College

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Dec 26 08:58:07 PST 2009

On Dec 26, 2009, at 11:43 AM, MICHAEL YATES wrote:

> Some awful things have been going on at my alma mater, St. Vincent
> College in Latrobe, PA.
>
> I have written about them at http://www.counterpunch.org/yates12252009.html
> Please spread the word.

Man, every time I'm tempted to ease up on The Church, something like this comes along.

Or, this, from today's NYT. The Catholic hierarchy in the U.S. is opposing the Senate health bill because it's too easy on abortion. The trade association of Catholic hospitals is bucking the bishops (cynically, one suspects, because it spares hospitals from cost- cutting, by design). The Times quotes a law prof as saying:

> “The Catholic Health Association seems to be using traditional
> principles of cooperation with evil,” said Prof. M. Cathleen Kaveny
> of the Notre Dame University Law School.

It's stunning to see a professor of law at a major university using a phrase like "cooperation with evil." What a repulsive doctrine.

Doug