[lbo-talk] your Facebook is their fortune

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 09:18:55 PST 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Feb 2, 2009, at 8:30 AM, Shane Taylor wrote:
>
>> Lie to them. On Facebook, I am 76 years old. To avoid confusing your
>> friends and family, simply make every lie private, between you and Facebook.
>
> I just don't care. Of course I'm self-employed and not vulnerable to
> employer blackmail, but what is it about this privacy fetish?

Precisely. We're cataloged, surveiled, profiled, etc., from the moment we're born. It's hard to see why Facebook knowing I'm married or a fan of Death Cab for Cutie* is such a cause for concern. It's capitalists selling shit to one another and nothing to do with me, other than that it's "my" information, which could, come to think of it, be the concern about privacy, certainly in its libertarian varieties: Facebook is selling my property.

*FWIW, and in case Doug and Jordan decide they want to sell some data on me, I am the former but not the the latter.