[lbo-talk] your Facebook is their fortune

User Joseph joseph at noonan.ws
Tue Feb 3 14:34:40 PST 2009

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009, Doug Henwood wrote:

> But the complaints I'm reacting to aren't about potential employers - it's
> about having one's personal space violated by marketers. I just don't get it.

That never has been my concern -- I get so much untargeted spam that targeted spam really isn't my problem. I am concerned about fuckheads like Choicepont selling my info to DHS or my prospective employer, not stupid marketing. I only object to the targeting by marketers in as much as they function as a proxy for Axiom and DHS, not because they might pitch a new flavored condom to me.

> It's quite possible that a taste profile assembled from my Facebook info
> could lead me to something I like, even, that I might not have otherwise
> known about.

Has that ever happened to you? It never has happened to me. I can honestly say that every attempt a marketer has made to target me has been an attempt to sell me something I already was aware of (or had I been looking for something in that category I would have easily found with a little google-foo).

> Though as someone pointed out, it may be a displaced concern for all the
> other lacks of privacy in one's life.
>
> Doug
>
> PS: And "belittling"? Please.

Which part of "If I didn't know you better," was unclear?

Cheers,