[lbo-talk] your Facebook is their fortune

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Feb 3 09:00:40 PST 2009

On Feb 3, 2009, at 10:03 AM, User Joseph wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Feb 2009, Doug Henwood wrote:
>

>> I just don't care. Of course I'm self-employed and not vulnerable
>> to employer blackmail, but what is it about this privacy fetish?
>

> Most of us *are* vulnerable to employer blackmail and it must be a
> very nice luxury to not have to worry about it. If I didn't know
> you better, I'd take you above comment as belittling of working
> people who do have to worry about these things. 'Fetish' indeed. I
> also fetishize eating, and not sleeping under a bridge.
>
> Why do you think the person I know as _____ posts as shag?

But the complaints I'm reacting to aren't about potential employers - it's about having one's personal space violated by marketers. I just don't get it. It's quite possible that a taste profile assembled from my Facebook info could lead me to something I like, even, that I might not have otherwise known about.

Though as someone pointed out, it may be a displaced concern for all the other lacks of privacy in one's life.

Doug

PS: And "belittling"? Please. Why do you think I've got this in bold type on the lbo-talk info page? "Posts to the list are archived, and the archives are indexed by Google and other search engines. If there's a risk that present or future employers might not like what you have to say here - or relatives or enemies or whatever - then you shouldn't post under your own name or a recognizable email address."