[lbo-talk] The Cramps!

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 4 20:02:07 PST 2009

Hehe - cool. But The Cramps weren't obscure! They were one of the original first wave 70s US punk bands (who never broke up and reformed, ths no fanfare-ridden cash-in reunion extravaganzas).

I ran a site, which is now on indefinite hiatus, http://www.cultpunk.com, where I tried to track what i thought was real punk and underground DIY garage rock-type music. But I lost the time and will to do it (for now). There's so much pablum to wade through. Idon't know how John Peel did it.

For a couple of years I thought Jay Reatard might be the next Big Hope for Punk. Wrong. Now he has weakened his sound to a more radio-palatable "twee" style that is horrible.

But when Jay Reatard was on the cusp of really reigniting something, someone luckily filmed him playing on an open street sidewalk a year or two ago, with his band, causing traffic to come to a halt as people body-surfed up into city trees, driven by the sheer energy and power chord madness of it all:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Oz6dKtkxt9Q

Good stuff (2007?)! Too bad Jay Reatard doesn't sound like this anymore. He could have had something.

-B.

Philip Pilkington wrote:

"Not sure why... but if there's an obscure punk music thread I'm in!!! Here's some of "The Moodists": http://youtube.com/watch?v=wDYtI4xTMMI"