[lbo-talk] The Cramps!

Philip Pilkington pilkingtonphil at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 20:20:33 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 4:02 AM, B. <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hehe - cool. But The Cramps weren't obscure! They were one of the original
> first wave 70s US punk bands (who never broke up and reformed, ths no
> fanfare-ridden cash-in reunion extravaganzas).
>
> I ran a site, which is now on indefinite hiatus, http://www.cultpunk.com,
> where I tried to track what i thought was real punk and underground DIY
> garage rock-type music. But I lost the time and will to do it (for now).
> There's so much pablum to wade through. Idon't know how John Peel did it.
>
> For a couple of years I thought Jay Reatard might be the next Big Hope for
> Punk. Wrong. Now he has weakened his sound to a more radio-palatable "twee"
> style that is horrible.
>
> But when Jay Reatard was on the cusp of really reigniting something,
> someone luckily filmed him playing on an open street sidewalk a year or two
> ago, with his band, causing traffic to come to a halt as people body-surfed
> up into city trees, driven by the sheer energy and power chord madness of it
> all:
>

> http://youtube.com/watch?v=Oz6dKtkxt9Q
>

> Good stuff (2007?)! Too bad Jay Reatard doesn't sound like this anymore. He
> could have had something.
>
> -B.
>

> Philip Pilkington wrote:
>
> "Not sure why... but if there's an obscure punk music thread I'm in!!!
> Here's some of "The Moodists": http://youtube.com/watch?v=wDYtI4xTMMI"

Never heard of him before... he's pretty good! There's still a lot of good punk orientated music out there as far as I can see. "At The Drive In" and "Mars Volta" were certainly keeping it going, "Death From Above 1979" too, albeit all in a different direction, among others. But there's so much stuff which still goes unlistened to due to lack of exposure and now they seem to be getting exposure via the internet. Especially all the Australian punk, which was some of the best. Here's some "Rowland S. Howard" (of Birthday Party fame), some "Josef K" (of, er, Scottish guys who got ripped off by Franz Ferdinand fame) and some "Gun Club" (of some weird guy who used to stalk "Blondie" and then formed a band fame):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=orH3GBNYFLA

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qkc8RPLh8ow

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jyX-KwwOAuo