[lbo-talk] This is Your Pilot Slurring

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 5 18:32:09 PST 2009

As you know, I'm sure, there is much dispute over whether Sholokov actually wrote Quiet Flows the Don. (Mainly based on it being so much better than anything else he ever wrote.) Supposedly, the theory goes, he stole the manuscript from a Cossack killed in the Civil War.

Personally I love QftD, but I have a thing about Cossacks. My ex-girlfriend's grandmother was one. She really looked it too -- the combination of Slavic facial construction and Turkic eyes that characterizes people of Cossack ancestry. You really notice it in the south of Russia, if you know what you are looking for.