[lbo-talk] Republican solution? More tax cuts

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 11:51:27 PST 2009

[Sorry if this has been posted already, I haven't been following the list lately trying to keep my head away from the guillotine]

http://www.forbes.com/2009/02/05/obama-stimulus-republicans-opinions-columnists_0206_peter_robinson.html?partner=popstories

---- "Making its way through the House last week, the legislation proved so bad that it galvanized the most woe-begotten and demoralized group in the capital, the Republicans. Every last Republican in the House voted against it."

As the legislation was being considered in the Senate this past week, public support for the measure dropped, according to a Rasmussen poll, to a mere 37%--and fully half of all respondents told pollsters they expected the measure to make the economy worse.Conservative Senate Republicans, such as Tom Coburn of Oklahoma, have proposed rewriting the legislation altogether, replacing the spending provisions with tax cuts. Their slogan? "Twice the jobs at half the price."

President Obama, so recently triumphant, is now reeling. ----

FC