[lbo-talk] CNN prints "Libertarian" ideas to save economy

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Feb 6 11:58:04 PST 2009

On Feb 6, 2009, at 2:47 PM, John Gulick wrote:

> In the 1960's
> did not the John Birchers and Posse Comitatus (and JN and PC
> symps) think of themselves as "libertarians"?

We sure did in the Party of the Right in 1971, when the great battle was between Traditionalists and Libertarians. (Reagan and Buckley were able to bridge the vast chasm between them, somehow, through personal charm and intellectual sleight of hand.)

We thought the Birchers were vulgar, though (with the exception of Richard Band

<http://www.rband.com/>,

whose pic doesn't look much different from the way he did 37 years ago.

Doug