[lbo-talk] This is Your Pilot Slurring

Philip Pilkington pilkingtonphil at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 16:04:51 PST 2009

Keynes provides both (1) an explanation (based on the ontological, anthropological and psychological ideas he claims provide the appropriate framework for social theory - the most important of them, from this perspective, being the ontological idea of "internal relations") of the limited applicability of axiomatic deductive reasoning in general and mathematical reasoning in particular in economics and (2) an explanation, in terms of the psychoanalysis of obsessional neurosis, of the immunity of those who uncritically identify "science" - including "social science" - with such reasoning to rational critique.

Absolutely, from what I've read of Keynes I'd agree... he was willing to look inwards before "projecting" outward; he established an epistemology before making grandiose claims. Unfortunately people still use his work as a sort of framework from which to launch into the very deadlocks he seems to have, for the most part, avoided.

However, I still think that, from said epistemological point of view, Marx is superior. Marx NEVER makes any grandiose statements (hence the infinite interpretations). He allows for an open system taking every piece of empirical data into account before putting forward any "meta"-theory. If economists could discipline themselves in this regard we'd have far less rubbish.

P.S, Its refreshing to see an economist with such a decent grasp of psychoanalytic theory... Schumpeter seems to have supported it, so did Keynes; as well as most involved in the Frankfurt School. I often get the impression that many social scientists today are unwilling to look at themselves before putting forward their theories which tends to make them terribly skewed!