[lbo-talk] This is Your Pilot Slurring

Philip Pilkington pilkingtonphil at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 16:16:40 PST 2009

> I don't know about Lacan, but the version of psychoanalysis developed by
> Melanie Klein provides an explanation of the inappropriate use of math as an
> obsessional defense against paranoid anxiety (the form of anxiety she
> identifies with the "paranoid-schizoid position" and links to paranoid
> schizophrenia).

One more thing on this point. There is actually an exact interpenetration between the "theories" of contemporary mathematics as they are applied to the human sciences and paranoid schizophrenia. I'm talking about "game theory", who's inventor was highly paranoid. I'm not going to go into detail but I'd point to this documentary which studies it in detail (among other things):

Episode 1: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=404227395387111085

Episode 2: http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=the+trap+2&emb=0#

Episode 3: http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=the+trap+2&emb=0#q=the+trap+3&emb=0

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trap_(television_documentary_series)

Best documentary series ever. All his stuff is on the internet at the moment. I can't recommend it enough...... lets get a discussion going...