[lbo-talk] a fresh rant on the bailout

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 11 12:54:33 PST 2009

At 12:34 PM 2/11/2009, Jordan Hayes wrote:

>I don't think we're talking about the Bailey Building and Loan here ...

Nope. More like the Bank Dick:

http://boozemovies.blogspot.com/2007/01/bank-dick-1940.html?showComment=1177533360000

In this classic, The Great Man (W.C. Fields) portrays Egbert Sousé (accent grave over the “e”), a small town layabout, who spends his happiest hours downing cocktails at the Black Pussy Café. After accidentally disrupting the getaway of a couple of bank robbers, Sousé is rewarded with a job as a security guard and is soon involved in embezzling bank funds. The paper-thin plot serves as a framework on which to hang a number of alcohol-fueled gags, including a memorable sequence in which Fields slips the bank examiner a Mickey with the help of the Black Pussy’s bartender, Joe (Stooge Shemp Howard).