[lbo-talk] Notes Towards a Critiq8ue of Progress (1)

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sat Feb 14 16:25:33 PST 2009

On Feb 14, 2009, at 5:14 PM, Chris Doss wrote:

> I hate to break this to you, but the Christian god is not conceived
> of as external to nature, given that he created it.

If a god *created* nature, it existed prior to nature, and therefore its existence is external to nature--and therefore creation by such a god is impossible.

> Neither is Plato's, of which nature is a dim reflection.

If by "Plato's god" (about whom Plato says absolutely nothing) you mean Timaios's demiourgos, then I agree--but the demiourgos does not create--it shapes the semi-preexistent "matrix of becoming" into nature according to the eternal fundamental forms of "sameness,' "difference," and "existence."

> --- On Sat, 2/14/09, Shane Mage <shmage at pipeline.com> wrote:
>>
>> No deity need have anything to do with it, and a deity
>> *external* to nature cannot conceivably have anything to do
>> with it. All that is required is the proposition that the
>> ultimate course of events takes form in the determining
>> context of formal natural law. Einstein's phrase was an
>> idiomatic expression of this (Platonic) concept.
>> Sheldrake's suggestion of a "morphogenetic
>> field" is another (nonmathematical) expression of that
>> concept.

Shane Mage