[lbo-talk] great movies -- was: "great" "conservative" movies

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Sun Feb 15 19:33:55 PST 2009

At 11:56 AM -0500 15/2/09, Andy wrote:

> > On his website Roger Ebert has a list of "Great Movies". Not all of
>> them are masterpieces by any means, but at least they all have some
>> significance as cultural references and touchstones. You could do a
>> lot worse.
>
>Whoops, that should have been
>
><http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=REVIEWS08>

Which includes 2001 A Space Oddessy. Perhaps one of the worst films of all time. The only part of this film which is pleasant is the Blue Danube, but the rest is hopeless. Tedious.

I recall watching this film at the cinema back in the 70's sometime. "What the fuck is the point of that?" I was left wondering. Too deep for me?

But I've seen it a couple of times since and no, there is no more to it than I originally saw.

The whole film is an enormous wank.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas