[lbo-talk] lbo-talk Digest, Vol 779, Issue 1

Adrian Doerr doerradr at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 10:24:09 PST 2009

> Would much appreciate any pointers to good writings on suburbia --
> culture, history, consciousness, economics, etc.
>
> Joanna

ad: Dolores Hayden is a good reference for suburbia, notably "Redesigning the American Dream" and "Building Suburbia"--she tends to focus on history, esp. with an eye toward government development of the suburbs, as well as gender relations of suburbia. There's also John Archer's work--you can download some pdf's of his work here: https://apps.cla.umn.edu/directory/profiles/archer -- he mostly works on history/ideology of suburbia, from a cultural studies approach. Robert Beuka has a book called "Suburbianation" that I haven't read--another cultural studies approach that reads how suburbia shows up in film/literature. It's supposed to be pretty good, albeit not terribly sophisticated--although apparently Foucault's conception of "hetertopia" is bandied around a bunch. I can probably come up with more if you're interested--I know a few people who have done some academic work on suburbia--if so, I can send some more titles off-list. cheers, ad