[lbo-talk] great movies -- was: "great" "conservative" movies

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 19 16:24:27 PST 2009

It was entertaining, but lacked the incisive social insight of, say, CHUD. :) Seriously I think of They Live as more sci-fi, a sort of pop version of Phillip Dick.

I know Romero thinks of his zombie flicks as political (and left) now, but I'm not sure if he did when he started making them. (?)

I tend to agree with Stephen King and think of the horror genre as being intrinsically conservative. It's mostly based on xenophobia and preservation of the status quo from outside forces. They Live is kind of an exception because its nasty beasties are part of the status quo -- which is maybe why it's more funny than it is scary. IMO.