[lbo-talk] English on SEIU

Mark DeLucas delucasm at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 25 08:18:09 PST 2009

I work at a paper factory.  It's true that while on the floor you sort of enter into a personal space, but it's hardly "free".  More like being in a box, barely bigger than your person, without any kind of room to maneuver.  Which means, in my case at least, that my thoughts never travel very far.  The only things my mind can pursue from start to finish are pop songs.  And so I spend the whole of the shift singing to myself.

Mark there is a literature on the supposed "free space" to think bit, supposedly a feature (not a bug!) of manual labor but it turns out, at least for some (such as factory work) this doesn't turn out to be true. your mind is colonized by the endless drone of the machinery, the loud noise, and what most people do is find themselves unable to think about Seth's obsession with the drone of Deleuze. Can't recall the book. Brave New Workplace? Maybe it was covered in Burawoy's Manufacturing Consent? Can't recall at the mo'.

shag