[lbo-talk] Vietnam (as dev state)

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Thu Feb 26 17:27:28 PST 2009

On Wed, February 25, 2009 2:57 pm, John Gulick wrote:

> What I want to know is, what does this have to do with Japanese
> economic policy before the 1990's and S Korea's export-led growth under
> the military dictatorship? The "developmental state" was the topic, yes?

Japan's variation of the developmental state emphasized worker skills, long-term investment, and high quality throughout the entire supply chain. S Korea's developmental state shouldn't be confused with the dictatorships, any more than the Internet should be confused with the US military-industrial complex which created it in the late 1960s -- Korea's online gaming sector was built on public investment, education, and R & D funding.

-- DRR