[lbo-talk] RNC's Michael Steele: Jindal is the Slumdog Millionaire governor

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Feb 26 18:50:16 PST 2009

On Feb 26, 2009, at 9:38 PM, B. wrote:

> I was in Tucson briefly some years back and seem to remember a
> similar group there, 'cept they had purple berets (?), shops would
> hire them as security or something. Felt really creepy to be around
> them, creepier than actual cops, even. Someone probably knows what I
> am talking about.

Yeah. I've never been creeped out by the NYPD in the 30 years I've lived here. Of course, I'm white and look respectable; other experiences may vary. There's something really icky about the vigilante temperament - they want to kick ass while being "good." Of course, cops share that, but they're under some institutional discipline. The Guardian Angels always looked like some creepy hybrid of goodie two-shoes and thugs. Maybe I'm just a statist.

Doug