[lbo-talk] Human Smoke

Mark Bennett bennett.mab at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 19:50:12 PST 2009

Here in the U.S. there is a particularly compelling need for this kind of revision, as "The Good War" is the paradigm of all U.S imperial adventurism ever since 1945: Saddam as Hitler, all that crap. Baker's a bit too "literary" (somebody earlier praised *The Mezzanine*, which really is an amazing little novel) and marginalized to make much of a dent, however: I doubt that his *Double Fold* did much to slow the destruction of newspaper archives, although it did preserve some of the remaining archives in Baker's private museum; which I understand has been since donated to some university for safekeeping. That book was an eye-opener as well, although about a less gruesome subject.