[lbo-talk] Modern medical "coverage"

Jenny Brown jbrown72073 at cs.com
Fri Feb 27 07:27:30 PST 2009

Wojtek wrote:

>A single payer insurance plan would save administrative costs but do little for other factors without extensive tort reform that would lower malpractice insurance costs, restructuring of health care delivery to focus on less expensive altrnatives to high-tech treatment (a controversial measure) and reforms aiming at behavioral changes of the population leading to healthier life styles (whose success I doubt, unless draconian measures are used.) And I see no effective ways of curbing greed that would fall short of draconian measures.

On malpractice insurance, a lot of the motivation to sue is to ensure there's money to pay the health care costs of whatever got messed up in the malpractice. Without the fear of being swamped with medical costs, a lot of these lawsuits would go away, and the ones that didn't wouldn't have a medical care award component cause everyone's covered.

Jenny Brown