[lbo-talk] Modern medical "coverage"

Mark Bennett bennett.mab at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 10:36:52 PST 2009

I wouldn't want to derail the general tone of the rant, but I looked into the malpractice premium argument a few years ago, and found that it was hardly cause of a catastrophic rise in health care costs. This was the argument made in California a generation ago, which resulted in the enactment of MIRCA 1975, which was said to be necessary because of skyrocketing damage awards that were driving doctors out of the state. It was bullshit, and a class action a few years later found that the "crisis" was the result of insurers gouging their insureds. (My own legal malpractice insurance went up $1,200 this year, and I've been practicing for two decades with no claims.) Medical malpractice premiums are no lower in California than most states (they are slightly for some specialties). I've been involved in only a few med mal cases, but they have been so horrendous, and the general damage cap so unjust (it hasn't been raised since 1975), that I don't see how anyone can practice plaintiff's medical malpractice.