[lbo-talk] Tiny amounts of good news in re Gaza

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Feb 28 04:24:17 PST 2009

[It's not the revolution -- we're still below zero, without even cement for reconstruction coming in -- but these two developments are slightly heartening. Links in original. See esp. the Haaretz link for the John Kerry pasta anecdote.]

http://www.wowowow.com/post/hillary-clinton-angry-jewish-israel-gaza-222225

February 26, 2009 Women on the Web

Clinton's Gaza Insistence Angers Pro-Israel Jewish Leaders

Hillary Clinton hasn't been on the job as the nation's top diplomat

for long, but she's already taking some flack for her job

performance. And by a longtime ally: Jewish groups.

New York Jewish leaders like New York Daily News publisher Mort

Zuckerman aren't too happy about the pressure the secretary of state

has been putting on Israel and say she shouldn't be too quick to

help Hamas.

"I liked her a lot more as a senator from New York," Assemblyman Dov

Hikind, D-Brooklyn, told CBS News. "Now, I wonder as I used to

wonder who the real Hillary Clinton is."

So, what are they so upset about? Well, not only will Clinton soon

announce that the States will give the Palestinians $900 million in

aid, but this week she has reportedly been chiding Israel for not

getting humanitarian aid to the Gaza Strip fast enough. Israeli

newspaper Haaretz reports that senior Clinton aides say the issue

will be highly contested on the secretary's trip to Israel next

Tuesday.

Atlantic Monthly's Jeffrey Goldberg, meanwhile, has a message to

those Hillary naysayers: chill out.

Do I have to point out that this doesn't make her George

Galloway? I understand Israel's hesitations here -- it has a

kidnapped soldier, Gilad Shalit, in Gaza ... I have not a single

doubt that Hillary Clinton is working assiduously to free Shalit,

and working assiduously to marginalize Hamas in other ways.

On a related note, rival Palestinian political parties Hamas and

Fatah announced today that, after 20 months of fighting, they're

going to form committees to establish a unity government.