[lbo-talk] The Canadian banking model

Ian Rogers ianrogers7 at bigpond.com
Sat Feb 28 15:47:53 PST 2009

What's this with Canadian banks being the most stable in the world? That'll upset those Aussie bankers who endlessly contend they claim that crown.

Maybe also of interest is that the Australian banking industry is as concentrated, even a tad more concentrated, than in Canada.

I assume that in Canada, as in Australia, the pricing power of the cartel is now becoming pronounced. Over the last six months business borrowers and consumer borrowers have received rates cuts on average equal to only half of the 4 percentage point cut in the cash rate (which in Australia remains at 3.25 per cent, so high by world standards but regarded as loose by those making the policy).

May I point out a Boston Consulting Group study published this week which wraps up a lot of data on bank profits globally from 2008 in a pretty useful way.

http://www.bcg.com/impact_expertise/publications/publication_list.jsp?pubid=2841

or

http://tinyurl.com/cqj8wy

Ian