[lbo-talk] happiness in place

Adrian Doerr doerradr at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 09:29:07 PST 2009

i'd amplify what alan says here--it's not just the elderly, but the entire populace of michigan--growing up in that semi-rural wasteland south of ann arbor was depressing enough--visiting it a month ago was even worse--it's as if the collective miseries of the entire state are worn onto everyone's faces/movements--the utter lack of jobs, an infrastructure that is totally falling apart, those endless grey skies. it felt like the antithesis of "hope". my partner loathes going with me because each time we visit it's a bit more depressing. add on to this wonderful mixture all the strong anxieties about what would happen to the other businesses built up around the auto industry, should something catastrophic happen to the latter, and you have a recipe for exactly what dennis describes. and then there's the nasty xenophobia and racism that seems, somehow, even a bit more vicious now. my family members who work construction (and were laid-off when i was visiting) are more bitter, more us-vs.-"them" than ever. sigh /ad/