[lbo-talk] Discussing Israeli Aggression: Then and Now

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 13:38:19 PST 2009

American workplaces usually aren't fertile ground for serious political discussion.

It's alright to debate the quarterback's poor leadership skills and the pitcher's bad arm. It's alright to talk about the meandering script of Jennifer Aniston's new movie.

It's even alright to burn time indulging in one of the nation's favorite pastimes, arguing, within a tightly confined rhetorical space, about the comparative virtues and vices of 'liberal' and 'conservative' policies and celebrity elites.

But what's not alright is saying something hard, definitive and contentious such as, 'Once again, Israel is committing mass murder. Your tax dollars at work.'

So I was surprised in 2006 when co-workers came to me for quiet discussions, asking for my opinion of Tel Aviv's assault on Lebanon. These people knew my political views and perhaps, weary of the same old same old from the media world that brings us 'debates' between the likes of Ann Coulter and Al Franken (or fill in the names of your favorite ideological personality simulation bots) were looking for something outside of the usual back and forth.

'A massacre' I said. 'And a stupid blunder which won't accomplish Olmert's stated goals.'

The replies were predictable. Lifted, it seemed, from CNN and Fox News talking heads' chatting points.

Q. But doesn't Israel have a right to defend itself?

A. If by 'defend itself' you mean targeting fleeing civilians, ambulances, schools, gatherings of refugees and who knows how many other unreported atrocities then the answer is no. Destroying Katyusha rocket launchers can reasonably be described as a war aim (although, we should talk about what brought those rockets down upon Israel in the first place). Systematically destroying civilian lives and life supporting infrastructure is an act of terrorism.

There were other questions, other assertions. All familiar to seasoned observers of the Israeli situation. 'Israel has no partner for peace.' 'Force is the only thing Arabs understand.' 'The IDF is the most humane military in the world, we weep for all civilian casualties but most of those killed were terrorists.'

And so on.

But today, things are noticeably different. At least on the ground level. Elite opinion remains squarely in favor of shedding rivers of Palestinian blood.

Once again, Israel is committing mass murder. And once again, American tax dollars are hard at work. But this time, when I speak with people outside of activist circles about Gaza, there's far less resistance to my insistence that Tel Aviv has gone too far. Encouraging. Both the quality and length of discussions has improved.

A wider variety of people in my personal circle -- friends, family, colleagues, acquaintances -- are willing to listen when I mention life in the occupied territories, the big lie that there is 'No Partner for Peace', and offer a grim interpretation of Israeli objectives.

Israel's goal, stripped of ornament, is to demolish the Palestinians as a coherently organized society. Why else destroy homes, schools, hospitals, police precincts, etc? It's clear that Tel Aviv's desire is to turn its racist fantasies of the Palestinians as 'termites' and sub-humans into reality. Somehow, Israeli strategists have come to believe that a zone of chaos on their borders will be contained and containable for generations to come. Perhaps even now some Zionist scifi writer is typing an 'Iron Dream' book. Complete with imagined tours of devastated reservations for wide eyed tourists.

No doubt, there will be other bombing sorties, other 'incursions', other bulldozings of houses, other targeted assassinations. Elites will continue to explain, excuse and transfer funds, petrol and ordinance, declaring unwavering support for the Zionist project.

But if today provides any indication, the response to this violence at the level of ordinary people will be less generous. Less benefit of the doubt will be given. It's impossible to know what impact, if any, this slowly developing change will have upon Washington's policies (which are crafted, after all, from a calculation any Roman general would understand: for now, Tel Aviv seems to be a useful attack dog).

One day, the book may not seem worth the candle.

What then Israel? What will you do then?

.d.

-- "'I'm diluting your brand' is the new 'I'm crushing your head.'"

La Cieca .............................. http://monroelab.net/blog/