[lbo-talk] Franken wins Minnesota

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jan 6 17:49:52 PST 2009

On Jan 6, 2009, at 7:19 PM, James Straub wrote:

> Doug is fond of throwing around the number 10%, to estimate the
> percent of people in the US who have 'solidly left-wing politics'.
> But judging from what we think it takes for one's politics to be
> 'solidly left-wing', is there anyone on this list who thinks that
> there's really 30 million americans who fit the bill?

Depends on what you mean by "solid." My guess is that's the proportion that's roughly social democratic and not enthusiastic about imperial war. A lot of those people wouldn't be what might conventionally thought of as "working class," though.

So...if ours are such minority views, why do we bother? And whom do we represent, or aspire to represent?

Doug