[lbo-talk] Fuck Hope

Mark Bennett bennett.mab at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 21:46:56 PST 2009

Good god, you're a better man than I am. I, too, remember watching these broadcasts as a kid, and while I make no claim to political precocity, and I grew up in a military household in a military town, I thought they were * terrible*. Just ghastly. Hope himself was awful, but what really got me was when he would bring out the babes and bombshells of the day: Raquel Welch, Joey Heatherton, Ann Margaret, etc., and a couple of G.I.s would be allowed boogie with the babe onstage for a minute or so. Even at that time something seemed terribly patronizing about that. I always wondered if the audience had been ordered to attend the damn thing. I mean, even as kid I thought these guys would rather be roaming around Saigon, drinking beer and getting laid then spending a couple hours watching Bob fucking Hope tell his stupid jokes. A funny thing: these horrible programs were required viewing in my family; but during one of the later broadcasts I asked my father - who served in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam - if he ever attended such a shindig when he was in overseas, and he instantly barked "Hell no!" without bothering to hide his contempt.