[lbo-talk] Fuck Hope

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Wed Jan 14 05:18:01 PST 2009

> I always wondered if the
> audience had been ordered to attend the damn thing. I mean, even as kid I
> thought these guys would rather be roaming around Saigon, drinking beer
> and
> getting laid then spending a couple hours watching Bob fucking Hope tell
> his
> stupid jokes.

I can see the soldiers liking this dated shit in '64, and maybe '65, but after that, with the infusion of drugs and rock music, why would they want to watch Hope tap dance to Les Brown's band? As the war goes badly, and US domestic strife increases, Hope starts bringing decorated combat vets onstage to cheerlead the war. One old officer gave a long speech about defeating communism, then yelled to the crowd, "Let's go get 'em!" Pass the opium pipe, sarge.

Dennis