[lbo-talk] Nevada - Filipino nurses stand up against SEIU intimidation

James Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 10:46:05 PST 2009

This a completely fucked up post. I've had some very critical things to say about seiu lately, but I happen to have extensive firsthand knowledge of the campaign and local this 'news' story purports to cover, and am baffled at the uncritical acceptance of any anti-seiu claims anyone makes. There are so incredibly many offensive and incorrect things in this thing.

Why, in the fucking world, is the cna' destructive and self-serving raids of established collective bargaining units around the country greeted with such uninformed applause by leftos? Also, I wonder why a post to a purportedly pro-union listserve like this one energetically parrot the message of employers and union-busters, which is that when union activists and staff campaign for their union at the workplace that it is in fact 'harrassment'. Harassment of who, pray tell? The boss? The outside raiding union? I wonder, steven, if you believe that in some way seiu organizes in a way that involves harrassing workers, but when the cna campaigns, it is instead heroic labor organizing? Also, wtf with the vaguely implied racial politics to this post? The way the article is written makes it sound as if phillipina nurses en masse are for the cna and against seiu in the hospital, which is if anything the opposite in this situation--- seiu's local elected exective board out of the rank and file is heavily phillipina.

This really is a disgusting piece. Remarkable how you promote the boss message of unions talking to workers constitutes 'intimidation'. Amazing how any claim the cna makes gets uncritical acceptance by a jackass who i guarantee knows nothing about the situation involved. Steven you have a bright future in HR ahead of you.