[lbo-talk] SEIU in Vegas

User Joseph joseph at noonan.ws
Wed Jan 14 12:29:10 PST 2009

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009, James Straub wrote:

> Its certainly true that the St Rose hospital nurses are fairly divided
> between the cna and seiu. At this point, the main thrust of the divide is
> that nurses who think they should have a separate professional association
> or craft union want the cna, and nurses that would rather be united with
> the lower-paid workers prefer seiu.

Without taking sides or speaking to the merits of one POV over the other, isn't this exactly backwards of the argument in California? Isn't it the SIEU that wants to split off the lower wage home care workers from the high wage nurses and Roselli et. al. want them to stay together for greater bargaining power for the low wage workers? Or have I misunderstood something somewhere along the line?

> Facts and messy reality are probably too messy to pique steven's interest
> the way an anti-union screed about seiu does, but, what the heck, now he
> can never say he just didn't know.

Why is it that criticism of SEIU always characterized as anti-union and not anti-SEIU or anti-Stern (if it is even fair to call it that)? Again, I'm not taking one side or the other, but why is it 'anti-union' to prefer one union (or style of union) over another?