[lbo-talk] The reds buy Shelley (Was Re: How Politics Ruined My Life:

Bill Quimby wquimby at embarqmail.com
Thu Jan 15 11:09:11 PST 2009

This reminiscing of Shelley should not pass without a posting of this section from his poem "Queen Mab", which recognizes man's potential to be thwarted by the grinding-down of capitalism. Queen Mab is thought to have been completed in 1812, four years before the Peterloo Massacre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterloo_Massacre

‘The iron rod of penury still compels Her wretched slave to bow the knee to wealth, And poison, with unprofitable toil, A life too void of solace to confirm The very chains that bind him to his doom. Nature, impartial in munificence, Has gifted man with all-subduing will. Matter, with all its transitory shapes, Lies subjected and plastic at his feet, That, weak from bondage, tremble as they tread. How many a rustic Milton has passed by, Stifling the speechless longings of his heart, In unremitting drudgery and care! How many a vulgar Cato has compelled His energies, no longer tameless then, To mould a pin or fabricate a nail! How many a Newton, to whose passive ken Those mighty spheres that gem infinity Were only specks of tinsel fixed in heaven To light the midnights of his native town!

I add the note that his biographers generally state Shelley's radical tilt to be due directly to his (was it father-in-law?) William Godwin.

- Bill