[lbo-talk] The reds buy Shelley (Was Re: How Politics Ruined My Life:

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 15 20:18:28 PST 2009

Not all biographers. I don't thinks Richard Holmes does. Anyway, life isn't like that, especially if you die at 30. Shelley was influenced by Godwin, that can be established. But he went into his marriage and relationship with Mary Shelley (Godwin's daughter, author of Frankenstein), already a red. Anyway, he thought Godwin was far too rationalist and moderate. Shelley was a passionate radical.

All the second-wave Romantics were reds at least in their youth, with the possible exception of Coleridge. Shelley and Keats of course had nothing but youth. Byron stayed red. Wordsworth went over to the other side, ended up Poet Laureate, writing bad poems (one in praise of capital punishment!!)in his old age.

Queen Mab, The Masque of Anarchy, and Shelley's other radical poems were, after his death, quoted or read aloud, memorized and treasured, by several generations of radical English workers, according to E.P. Thompson's The Making of the English Working Class,