[lbo-talk] How Politics Ruined My Life: Was Fuck Hope

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Thu Jan 15 13:57:08 PST 2009

Chris Doss : Somebody's politics are completely irrelevant to the quality of their artistic output, as is their personal morality. It's a tekhne, a craft. Might as well refuse to admire desks made by right-wing carpenters.

^^^ CB: The subject matters of literary arts have more overlap with those of politics than those of woodworking.

If one likes the poems of right-wingers, one might want to do a little introspection. Most "deep" thoughts, even "personal" ones, impinge on politics and ideology.

^^^^^ The Richards outburst doesn't bother me that much. He got pissed off and decided (stupidly, quite possibly drunkenly) on the spur of the moment to attack people in what he thought would be the most offensive way possible. Vulgar and juvenile, but not intrinsically different than if he had, say, shouted "your mother's a whore!" People do shit like this. I actually doubt very much that he's a racist.

^^^ CB: There's not a sharp line :racist/not racist. Racism influences different people in different degrees and ways.