[lbo-talk] How Politics Ruined My Life: Was Fuck Hope

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 15 20:05:45 PST 2009

> If one likes the poems of right-wingers, one might want to
> do a little introspection. Most "deep" thoughts,
> even "personal" ones, impinge on politics and
> ideology.

If the object is to find the evil and corrupt reactionary core in me that needs to be rooted out so that I no longer love Yeats, Eliot (I don't actually like Pound, sorry Carrol), Larkin, sorry, I'm not interested in such introspection. I don't want not to love them. The day I no longer respond with awe to Nineteen Hundred and Nineteen (Yeats) or The Waste Land (Eliot), please take me out and shoot me.*

Make what judgment of me, and of that, you will.

This is actually a variation an an example worked up by my diss adviser, Allen Gibbard, to critique Richard Brandt's ethical theory!