[lbo-talk] How Politics Ruined My Life: Was Fuck Hope

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Fri Jan 16 15:13:18 PST 2009

andie nachgeborenen

If the object is to find the evil and corrupt reactionary core in me that needs to be rooted out so that I no longer love Yeats, Eliot (I don't actually like Pound, sorry Carrol), Larkin, sorry, I'm not interested in such introspection. I don't want not to love them. The day I no longer respond with awe to Nineteen Hundred and Nineteen (Yeats) or The Waste Land (Eliot), please take me out and shoot me.*

^^^ CB: Not me. I was an Eliot fan when younger. Now I'm not. I think of it as personal growth.

^^^^

Make what judgment of me, and of that, you will.

^^^ CB: My judgment is you don't choose to change based on experiences since you were younger; but I still like you (smile).

^^^

This is actually a variation an an example worked up by my diss adviser, Allen Gibbard, to critique Richard Brandt's ethical theory!

^^^ CB: Brandt was Univ. of Mich. Philo department head when I was and undergrad 68 through '72, but my intro class was with your advisor Sklar.

Then there's the correspondence between you and me in the early 90's when I was an attorney for ten years , but you were not yet (smile). You were teaching Philo. Remember that ? Now you're a big time attorney