[lbo-talk] Friedman on Gaza

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Sat Jan 17 12:57:16 PST 2009

``FAIR points out that calling for war crimes is itself a war crime, and saying that killing civilians is a respectable "education" strategy is exactly that...'' Michael Pollak

---------

I get the education angle. It's the teaching method that stumps me.

Let's take Thursday. When the UN Secretary General arrives in Tel Aviv, what are the Israelis teachers doing? Well they are busy bombing the UN headquarters in Gaza City, setting fire to warehouses of food and medicine with white phosphorous.

I suppose you could argue this was teaching the UN a lesson about supplying aid by example. Well it does follow the syllabus of bombing and shelling several other UN facilities, mostly schools filled with refugees.

I am sure I knew dead children have all the education they need, but I am unconvinced Israel taught me that lesson.

And of course it was logical on Friday for the US to sign a much needed education aid agreement with Israel to continued to educate Palestinians.

I think we should thank Tom Friedman for giving us an endlessly supply of double speak from the annals of education, particularly higher education. But we must start at the beginning with a primer:

``See Rami run.''

``See Shadiya run.''

CG