[lbo-talk] Friedman on Gaza

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Sat Jan 17 13:58:44 PST 2009

At 12:57 PM -0800 17/1/09, Chuck Grimes wrote:

>I suppose you could argue this was teaching the UN a lesson about
>supplying aid by example. Well it does follow the syllabus of
>bombing and shelling several other UN facilities, mostly schools
>filled with refugees.

Of course there are a couple of problems with this teaching method. First and most obvious, it doesn't seem to work as intended. Take New Yorkers like Friedman, Osama Bid laden tried this very method on them in 2001. Did This Friedman joker learn the lesson? Did Americans heed the lesson and withdraw from Arabia and all the other places? Not a bit of it. It didn't even occur them.

Quite the opposite. Which highlights the more serious problem with this kind of "education" - rather than the intended lesson (do as I say, not what I do) the victims usually take the opposite lesson. They turn around and use terrorism to teach their oppressors (or anyone who might be passing) a thing or two.

And it isn't only those on the receiving end that fail to heed their lessons. You would think that the teachers would notice that the lessons are having the opposite effect to that intended and try something else. Again, no. The teachers who use this method are usually at least as thick as their students, they don't give up so easily, but obstinately insist on trying the same methods over and over again.

Worst of all, eventually this continual failure leads the adherents of terrorism "education" to take it to its ultimate conclusion. The ultimate act of terrorism, extermination of your enemies. "Surely that must work?" They decide. But again, the intended victims only learn the method, not the intended lesson and next thing you know the student becomes the teacher, using same failed teaching method. Which is how we got here.

Humans are very stupid.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas