[lbo-talk] Empty and meretricious

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Tue Jan 20 10:52:07 PST 2009

Obama delivered an oration empty of positive content but full of meretricious flourishes designed to redeem and justify the whole history of American colonialism. The absolute worst was his beginning--that the US is a nation at war. This just after swearing to uphold a constitution that precludes anyone but Congress from declaring war. For Obama, the war criminal Bush has declared a "War on Terror" and that is the anticonstitutional declaration which Obama upholds. Obama paid tribute to those who "settled the West" without even a gesture of rhetorical balance about those who fought and were massacred trying to defend their lands and lives from those who "settled the West" and their Custers and Carsons. Obama lauded those who fought at "Concord and Normandy and Khesan." Not a word, of course, about the thousands of African-American slaves who threw off their chains to fight and die against the revered slavedriving Founding Fathers and for the legitimate government of their country. Nor, of course, a rhetorical parallel of Normandy and Tokyo or of Khesan and Mylai-- even though the soldiers perpetrating those genocidal massacres were no different--and perhaps were even the same persons--as those who fought at Normandy and Khesan.

Perhaps the most sickening phrase, even more than his fulsome tribute to "The Market" and his proclamation that health care is not a right but a commodity that should somehow be made "affordable," was Obama's embrace of the rightist counterposition of "People" and "Government," when it would have been so obvious, so easy, to talk about the people tackling problems through "their government and their organizations." It would have been so easy for him to evoke a millions-strong antiphony of "Yes We Can!" by announcing noble goals like moving to a CO2-free economy, providing health care to everybody in the country on the basis of need, providing good free education to every child from pre-school through college, leading the world to a united effort against global warming, guaranteeing all working Americans the ability to organize democratically in the trade union of their choice, even "beating swords into plowshares." It would have been easy--but it would have been "wrong" (ie, Left). Obama, today at least, would rather be Right.

Shane Mage