[lbo-talk] How Politics Ruined My Life: Was Fuck Hope

farmelantj at juno.com farmelantj at juno.com
Wed Jan 21 04:58:15 PST 2009

Well Bakunin would say that sort of thing, wouldn't he. Presumably, he was referring to Marx & Engels' support for German unification, which even when conducted under the auspices of a conservative like Bismarck, they regarded as a progressive thing, because a united Germany would industrialize more quickly, resulting in an expanding industrial proletariat which would carry more weight within German society. A united Germany would also counterbalance the the influence of both Russia and Great Britain, which Marx & Engels regarded as the twin pillars of reaction in Europe.

I wonder what Bakunin's take on the US Civil War was. The French anarchist Proudhon supported the Confederate side (since he was sympathetic with the states rights argument) whereas Marx & Engels were staunch supporters of Lincoln.

Jim F.

-- Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

I've been reading a bit of Bakunin lately (where he argues that Marx and Engels are really classic German chauvinists with a shiny ideology) and am getting suspicious that there may be something incoherent about the idea of an internationalism of people who are One of Us.