[lbo-talk] about that oath

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 21 13:09:50 PST 2009

I've read that repeating the oath back verbatim was started by FDR. Before that, presidents would not repeat the oath, but would merely say, "I do," like a bride.

And newscasters were saying Obama was President at 12 noon regardless of his having taken the oath or not.

But, yeah, there are some right-wing websites making some hay out of this, the same ones that are still going on about his birth certificate. During the early days of the Bush presidency there were folks who would not let it rest that Cheney's home was from the same state as the President's, and that his driver's license had his work address (500 Akard St, Dallas, TX) on it instead of his home address. All of that should have made him ineligible, technically, sites insisted.

-B.

Andy wrote:

"I confess I wasn't expecting it to become a serious issue.... http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/?last_story=/politics/war_room/2009/01/21/oath/"