[lbo-talk] worst prezdinet

Sheldon Baker humanist.observer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 19:07:04 PST 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 7:12 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> What the fuck are you talking about? Yeah, Gitmo will probably close, though
> they'll take their time about it, and there will probably be a lot of
> messiness in the way the actual prisoners are treated. But you think that
> will change the fundamental U.S. relations with the outside world? Will
> Israel get cut off? Will we pay reparations to Iraq? Will we stop bombing
> Afghan wedding parties?
>
> Doug

Doug, I got to wonder about this. I have no illusions that Obama is the end of U.S. Imperialism. But is it possible that he/they might take a smarter and gentler approach to imperial interventions and stop bombing Afghan wedding parties? This may actually mean less reliance on clumsy air power and more boots on the ground, hopefully with more restrictive terms of engagement to prevent to civilian casualtys. That at least would seem to be smarter for them and better for the Afghans as well.