[lbo-talk] Waterboarding etc.

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 18:16:31 PST 2009

Chris Doss wrote:

So, do you think Leavenworth has accommodations for that many people just lying around? Maybe they should sleep on the grass and root for grubs.

Think things through, people. I know you would be coming up with all sorts of excuses if Cuba were involved.

In several years of list life I can honestly say this is one of the saddest threads I've ever read.

First, we're told the problem is that no one's giving the new President enough time to prove what sort of fellow he is. A swerve, if ever there was.

A swerve, because the real focus -- at least, for serious commenter's taking the long view -- has never been Obama but the system he's presiding over. Debating his personal qualities is almost as useless as asking whether the lightning bolt striking a tree is friend or foe.

His personal qualities have only been discussed insofar as his most ardent supporters have made extravagant claims. In fact, all along the genuine target of criticism has been the opinion of leftists who, presumably understanding the world they're in, should be more cautious.

I find it particularly galling that the critiques of African Americans such as Glen Ford, Adolph Reed and Preston Smith -- all posted to the list multiple times -- have been either ignored, willfully misinterpreted or dismissed as the rants of 'jealous' douchebags.

Next, we were scolded for foolishly assuming that the complex work of closing Gitmo could be done overnight. As if the issue is bureaucratic procedure, instead of the likelihood that vague promises will be kept.

And only moments ago, the problem became the lack of accommodations for the remaining prisoners. Another appeal to procedure and logistics which pretends that the issue of guilt has been settled. Of course, as many of us assumed from the beginning, and as the testimony of journalists, upset military attorneys and others confirmed, most of the 'detainees' were not, to quote Rumsfeld, "the worst of the worst" but people who were swept up in a variety of places for a variety of reasons. Many of these reasons being extraordinarily flimsy.

When asked an insulting question one of my oldest friends invariably responds, "do I look like an asshole to you?" Meaning, do you really think I'm such an idiot that the minor points you're bringing up escape me?

We're all adults here Chris (and whoever else is nickel and diming their way through this thread with small beer objections). We know about the procedural bullshit. But we're trying to look at the whole elephant, not just the trunk or the ears or what have you.

And when you look at the whole elephant -- i.e., the US' foreign policy tradition -- you can be excused for reaching harsh conclusions.

Conclusions which can coexist with the appearance or reality of Obama as a 'nice man' who loves his wife and kids and means well in comparison to his predecessor.

.d.

-- "Presidents and First Ladies don't 'do it.' They boff austerely or give each other a dignified rogering."

Richard .............................. http://monroelab.net/blog/